Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Exposure Compensation



I almost always shoot my pics using Auto Bracket.  Most cameras have this feature, including some point and shoots!  (My old point and shoot- a Kodak EasyShare had it.)
When you use this mode, your camera takes 3 pictures in the exposure compensation range that you set, each time you push the shutter button. I have found that when you are learning manual this is a great way to make sure you get a picture with good lighting, because it will slightly uderexpose, overexpose, and give you one "as is."  Then just go through and delete whichever ones are not the best lighting, and you will learn what works best in what lighting.
Here is an example:

 So these were all shot in Manual, using the same aperture and ISO, but it auto brackets, so you get 3 different shutter speeds and can then choose the best.





This one is underexposed a little, but the histogram shows the levels are good.









This one is "as is" and was shot at the shutter speed I had set.










Lastly, this one is over-exposed a little, and a little blown out.  The shutter speed was slow at 1/60s.


All taken in less than one second, but you get a big range to work with.
I think the best one is the first one, in my opinion.  That one was slightly underexposed and had a much faster shutter speed.
So find your auto bracket setting, and go out and shoot some stuff with it on, and I think you'll be happier with the pics you end up with, because you have 3 options to choose from each picture.


No comments:

Post a Comment